Immerse yourself in the stories of social enterprises all over the world that are committed to implementing change in their own communities. These business act as a beacon of hope for industry and are an example of responsible travel done right. These stories also share perspectives on the industry, highlight issues you should avoid, and more.
Each travel guide on A Little Adrift provides a total picture of the countries you are planning to visit. With detailed cultural and background information, as well as ethical concerns specific to each country, these guides provide a starting point for your trip. Each guide incorporates first-hand advice from my own travels there, as well as tips from the ALA community too. You’ll find links to plan: accommodation, things to do, what to read before you leave, and so much more.
GV is the sister site to A Little Adrift and provides travel with an absolute resource dedicated to responsible travel. The site features two databases aimed at making every trip as sustainable as possible. One database collects a crowd-sourced (and always growing) list of business that operate with a strong social mission. The other is a searchable list of vetted indie volunteering opportunities. No matter your budget or style of travel, there are concrete ways to can add aspects of responsible tourism to your travels, and GV teaches you how.
The Volunteer Traveler’s Handbook uses storytelling, research, and practical information to guide travelers to an ethical volunteer experience. The book grew from the lessons I learned while traveling, and it fills a gap in the industry by providing easy-to-understand advice and guidance that grounds travelers and helps them understand the effects of international volunteering and how they can best create a positive impact on the communities they visit as they travel.
Latest Posts on Sustainable Travel
- A Little Adrift… Dispatch from Russia: Upending Cultural Assumptions
- A Little Insight… What Goes Into a Sustainable Tourism Industry?
- A Little Adrift… Dispatch from Barcelona: Finding Home
- A Little Delight… Stories of Responsible Travel in Hoi An, Vietnam
- A Little Reckoning… On Transformative Travel Experiences and 9 Years of Travel
- A Little Photoessay… What’s Japan Like? Gorgeous. Contradictory. Fascinating.
- A Little Portrait… Stories of Microfinance from the Women of the Oaxaca Valley, Mexico
- A Little Story… How One Maasai Tribe Is Changing the Face of Responsible Tourism
- A Little Hospitality… A Guest is a Gift from God
- A Little Adrift… Dispatch from Mexico: Oaxacan Life
- A Little Charm… 6 Things to Do That Will Make You Fall in Love with Tbilisi, Georgia
- A Little Adventure… How I Survived 3 Weeks with 2 Boys on an Epic Mexican Road Trip
*Last updated on: