She spends time in the United States each year to speak at Universities and conferences and she is a professional travel writer, trained public speaker, and author of the critically acclaimed book, The Volunteer Traveler’s Handbook.
Shannon is available for:
- Interviews in any medium (print, video, or radio)
- Speaking (view her list of topics here)
- Webinars and interactive online interviews
- Travel writing and photography
Interested in working with Shannon?
Press and Media
Shannon’s photography, writing, and speaking have been featured in print and online publications all over the world. Highlights include:
- Named a National Geographic Traveler of the Year
- Speaker at Russia’s VII St. Petersburg International Cultural Forum in 2018
- Speaker at National Geographic Live! at the Grosvenor Auditorium (link here)
- Radio guest on NPR and the Australian Broadcasting Network
- Appearances on Daytime TV, ABC and Fox news stations
- Featured travel and volunteering expert by CNN, BBC, Forbes, Globe and Mail, News.com.au, Daily Mail, Business Insider, Frommers, U.S. News and World Report, BuzzFeed.
- About her book: “A great beginning guide for those just starting to think about volunteering internationally …” — Booklist Magazine
- Selamta Magazine, story on Barcelona, September 2018.
- Madam Eva Magazine, story on food and travel, August 2018.
- National Geographic Traveler magazine, Traveler of the Year feature story, November 2013.
- Delta Sky Magazine, wrote a piece on Ireland, 2014.
- La Presse newspaper, interviewed for a piece about volunteering.
- Money Magazine volunteering expert, December 2013.
- Times of India expert interview on volunteer travel.
- Interviewed by Cosmopolitan Italy on working remotely and traveling.
- Four interviews and stories (print and online) with the University of Central Florida (here is one).
- A contributing writer, To Nepal With Love guidebook.
- Featured as a source of travel inspiration in Modern in Denver Magazine (print and online).
- Komsomolskaya Pravda interview on female perspectives in cinema and media.
- Business Insider interviewee on expat life.
- EcoSalon profile highlighting life of a long-term world traveler.
- National Geographic Traveler of the Year online article.
- Forbes on traveling as a digital nomad, deciding on a destination, and volunteering on the road.
- U.S. News and World Report on travel tips.
- International Business Times about travel safety.
- Canada’s Globe and Mail on volunteer travel.
- Yahoo! Travel on travel and minimalism.
- Daily Mail about budget travel.
- BBC on working as location independent.
- CNN Money on voluntourism.
- CNN on travel spots.
- BuzzFeed on solo female and budget travel.
- Australia’s news site, News.com.au about solo female travel.
- Global Times China about vegetarian travel.
- Interviewed in Repubblica in Italian about solo travel.
- Contributor to USA Today College about student travel.
- BBC Travel about living in Chiang Mai, Thailand.
- Interview about voluntourism on TRT World Roundtable.
- Guest on Daytime TV show (video, article).
- Interview on Fox Tampa Bay.
- Interview on ABC Action News.
- Interview on Orlando’s News 13 as an Everyday Hero.
- NPR interview about social enterprises and volunteering
- National Geographic Weekend radio about travel
- CJAD Radio in Montreal about volunteer and world travel
- National Armed Forces Radio regular guest
- Australian Broadcasting Network’s Life Matters show about solo travel
- ATW with Arthur van Weisenburger about long-term travel
- Frommers Sunday travel show about volunteering
- KGNU Denver about solo female travel and global citizenship
- Speaker about responsible tourism for college students as part of the University of Maine’s “Going Global Speaker Series,” 2019.
- Moderator on a Sustainable Tourism panel at Berlin Travel Fest, 2019.
- Speaker at the VII St. Petersburg International Cultural Forum, with two panels: Communicating Culture in Media, and the Female Face of Cinematography, 2018.
- TravelCon speaker about Responsible Tourism as a Force for Good, 2018.
- Annual speaker with middle school classrooms in conjunction with units on Into The Wild, social justice units, and world cultures studies, 2010 to 2018.
- Central College in Iowa guest speaker to the freshman class, 2014.
- National Geographic Live event in Washington, DC in 2014.
- Shenandoah University keynote speaker at International Convocation, 2013.
- University of Central Florida guest speaker about entrepreneurship and travel, 2013.
- Speaker on SEO and Content at the TBEX 2012 Travel Blog Conference.
- Meet Plan Go panelist for the Orlando, Florida event, 2011.
- Presenter of various industry webinars and training sessions on Social Media and SEO; most recently a webinar on “How Better Storytelling Inspires Travel” for Travel Massive.
Speaking at National Geographic Live!
Speaking at Shenandoah University
- Photography featured in Outside magazine, April 2013,
- Ongoing relationship with Kuoni Travel brochures for Middle East images.
- Featured in Trinity University Magazine.
- Stowaway Magazine (print and online) for a piece on Semana Santa carpets in Guatemala.
- Featured in University of Missouri Illuminations report.
- Photography featured in the Schmap Sydney Guide.
- TRAVELIFE magazine feature.
Writing, Interviews, and Podcasts
- “A Timeless Snapshot: Delighting in Barcelona’s Raval neighborhood,” Selamta Ethiopian Airlines Magazine, September 2018
- Just Forking Around Podcast: Using Travel as a Force for Good, Aug 2018
- World Nomads Podcast: Guatemala, July 2018
- “The Journey to Create a Young Adventurer;” Lightfoot Travel Magazine, January 2016
- “A Chicken, a Child, and a Path Toward Deeper Understanding;” Taste of Life Mag, January 2016
- “DIY Volunteering: A Manifesto;” a NatGeo Intelligent Traveler article
- “Welcome Here,” in Darling Magazine, 2014
- Exploring Family Roots in Ireland, Delta Sky Magazine, Oct 2014
- The power of immersion abroad, USA Today College
- Perreault Magazine, quarterly contributor
- Featured podcast guest on: Amateur Traveler, This Week in Travel, and Armed Forces Radio Network.
- Vagabonding Case Study on Rolf Potts’ site.
Email ( ShannonRODonnell <at> gmail.com ) is the easiest way to reach me. Or via phone: +1-727-386-9415
*Last updated on: