A Little Adrift used to directly chronicle my round the world travels. Now, however, after more than a decade of travel, I present stories, musings, and insights non-linearly. This makes it hard to know where I am and what I’m working on right now!
This is the state of things as of April 2019.
Location & Travel Plans
I live in Barcelona, Spain! I moved here in 2018 and my visa says I can stay here until 2020, so that’s the plan. Barcelona is my homebase, but I still wander the world, just with a place to rest my head in between adventures. More on why I chose Barcelona here.
My 2019 plans look a bit like this:
- April: I will attend the WTTC conference on sustainability in tourism in Seville, then I am heading to the States for several weeks. I’ll be in Florida, Virginia, and Montreal—and I’ll likely hold a reader meetup in NYC in late April if I can fit in a few days there.
- May: First I’m crashing a friend’s honeymoon for a few days in Italy, then by the end of the month I’ll be attending the Hay Festival in Wales with friends who live in Bristol, England.
- September: I’m trying to convince my dad to do an Ireland road trip with me—we drove for three weeks around Ireland 15 years ago and it’s high time we make it there again.
- November: I have a friend moving to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia this summer and I want to pop over by the end of the year if possible.
Outside of those rough plans, I will probably be in Barcelona! If you’re passing through and want to grab a drink, let me know. :)
Projects and Passions
Last summer, I finished a major tourism development project in Kyrgyzstan with USAID. It was a chance for me to “walk the walk” of responsible tourism and help build an industry in an emerging destination that will directly funnel tourism dollars into local hands. I loved it. I would love to do more of this work in the future.
But, for now, I am working on my own projects and diving back into A Little Adrift. Although I did not publish many blogs in 2018, I was constantly updating the website’s useful content. Here are a few of the new things:
- Country guides. Every time I travel, I round-up my tips and resources, now they’re getting formally laid out and easy to browse. You guys asked for more of these, and they’re popular on the site, so I continue expanding this section. The first dozen are up now; I’d be chuffed if you check them out.
- Book proposal. I am working on a book proposal and have a goal of reconnecting with the ALA community this year. This is a HUGE focus for me, so please do reach out if you’re coming through town, of if you live in one of the places I am visiting—I love meeting readers!
- Site redesign. The site won’t actually look much different when I’m done, but I am reorganizing things and changing the theme out of necessity (my designer stopped supporting and updating the theme more than a year ago!). I hope to make it easier for you to find the information you need to plan your travels.
Need to Get in Touch
Right now, I’m focusing all my of attention on these projects and will say no to other projects. If you’d like to connect on one of these things, read of my contact page or join me on social media:
This page is inspired by Derek and was last updated on April 1, 2019.
*Last updated on: