She spends time in the United States each year to speak at Universities and conferences and she is a professional travel writer, trained public speaker, and author of the critically acclaimed book, The Volunteer Traveler’s Handbook.
Shannon is available for:
- Interviews in any medium (print, video, or radio)
- Speaking (view her list of topics here)
- Webinars and interactive online interviews
- Travel writing and photography
Interested in working with Shannon?
Press and Media Highlights
Shannon’s photography, writing, and speaking have been featured in print and online publications all over the world. Highlights include:
- Named a National Geographic Traveler of the Year
- Spoke at National Geographic Live! at the Grosvenor Auditorium (link here)
- Radio guest on NPR and the Australian Broadcasting Network
- Appearances on Daytime TV, ABC and Fox news stations
- Featured travel and volunteering expert by Yahoo Travel, CNN, Globe and Mail, News.com.au, Daily Mail, Times of India, BBC, Frommers, U.S. News and World Report, BuzzFeed.
- About her book: “A great beginning guide for those just starting to think about volunteering internationally …” — Booklist Magazine
- National Geographic Traveler magazine, Traveler of the Year feature story, November 2013.
- Delta Sky Magazine, wrote a piece on Ireland, 2014.
- Money Magazine volunteering expert, December 2013.
- Times of India expert interview on volunteer travel.
- Interviewed by Cosmopolitan Italy on working remotely and traveling.
- Four interviews and stories (print and online) with the University of Central Florida (here is one).
- A contributing writer, To Nepal With Love guidebook.
- Featured as a source of travel inspiration in Modern in Denver Magazine (print and online).
- National Geographic Traveler of the Year online article.
- U.S. News and World Report on travel tips.
- International Business Times about travel safety.
- Canada’s Globe and Mail on volunteer travel.
- Yahoo! Travel on travel and minimalism.
- Daily Mail about budget travel.
- BBC on working as location independent.
- CNN Money on voluntourism.
- CNN on travel spots.
- BuzzFeed on solo female and budget travel.
- Australia’s news site, News.com.au about solo female travel.
- Global Times China about vegetarian travel.
- Interviewed in Repubblica in Italian about solo travel.
- Contributor to USA Today College about student travel.
- BBC Travel about living in Chiang Mai, Thailand.
- Guest on Daytime TV show (video, article).
- Interview on Fox Tampa Bay.
- Interview on ABC Action News.
- Interview on Orlando’s News 13 as an Everyday Hero.
- NPR interview about social enterprises and volunteering
- National Geographic Weekend radio about travel
- National Armed Forces Radio regular guest
- Australian Broadcasting Network’s Life Matters show about solo travel
- ATW with Arthur van Weisenburger about long-term travel
- Frommers Sunday travel show about volunteering
- KGNU Denver about solo female travel and global citizenship
- Central College in Iowa guest speaker to the freshman class, 2014.
- National Geographic Live event in Washington, DC in 2014.
- Shenandoah University keynote speaker at International Convocation, 2013.
- University of Central Florida guest speaker about entrepreneurship and travel, 2013.
- Annual speaker with middle school classrooms in conjunction with units on Into The Wild, social justice units, and world cultures studies.
- Meet Plan Go panelist for the Orlando, Florida event, 2011.
- Speaker on SEO and Content at the TBEX 2012 Travel Blog Conference
- Presenter of various industry webinars and training sessions on Social Media and SEO.
Speaking at National Geographic Live!
Speaking at Shenandoah University
- Photography featured in Outside magazine, April 2013
- Ongoing relationship with Kuoni Travel brochures for Middle East images.
- Featured in Trinity University Magazine.
- Stowaway Magazine (print and online) for a piece on Semana Santa carpets in Guatemala.
- Featured in University of Missouri Illuminations report.
- Photography featured in the Schmap Sydney Guide.
- TRAVELIFE magazine feature.
Writing, Interviews, and Podcasts
- DIY Volunteering: A Manifesto; a NatGeo Intelligent Traveler article
- Exploring Family Roots in Ireland, Delta Sky Magazine Oct 2014
- The power of immersion abroad, USA Today College
- Perreault Magazine, quarterly contributor
- Regular contributor to several websites: Eagle Creek, Kimpton, Stocks for the Week
- Featured podcast guest on: Amateur Traveler, This Week in Travel, and Conscious Discussions.
- Contributor to USA Today College.
- Vagabonding Case Study on Rolf Potts’ site.
- Best in Travel on Global Basecamps.
- Budgeting Advice and Working While Traveling on The Road Forks.
- Traveling with my niece and travel talk on Neverending Voyage.
- How to Ethically Volunteer Anywhere in the World (Guest post on Nomadic Matt)
- Giving Back, Teaching Monks in Nepal (Guest post on The Planet D)
- Budgeting: The Real Cost of RTW Travel (Contributed on BootsnAll)
Email ( ShannonRODonnell <at> gmail.com ) is the easiest way to reach me. Or via phone: +1-727-386-9415