She spends time in the United States each year to speak at Universities and conferences and she is a professional travel writer, trained public speaker, and author of the critically acclaimed book, The Volunteer Traveler’s Handbook.
Shannon is available for:
- Interviews in any medium (print, video, or radio)
- Speaking (view her list of topics here)
- Webinars and interactive online interviews
- Travel writing and photography
Interested in working with Shannon?
Press and Media Highlights
Shannon’s photography, writing, and speaking have been featured in print and online publications all over the world. Highlights include:
- Named a National Geographic Traveler of the Year
- Spoke at National Geographic Live! at the Grosvenor Auditorium (link here)
- Radio guest on NPR and the Australian Broadcasting Network
- Appearances on Daytime TV, ABC and Fox news stations
- Featured travel and volunteering expert by CNN Money, Globe and Mail, News.com.au, Times of India, BBC Travel, Frommers
- About her book: “A great beginning guide for those just starting to think about volunteering internationally …” — Booklist Magazine
- National Geographic Traveler magazine, Traveler of the Year feature story, November 2013.
- Money Magazine volunteering expert, December 2013.
- Times of India expert interview on volunteer travel.
- Interviewed by Cosmopolitan Italy on working remotely and traveling.
- Two interviews (print and online) with the University of Central Florida (here and here).
- A contributing writer, To Nepal With Love guidebook.
- Featured as a source of travel inspiration in Modern in Denver Magazine (print and online).
- National Geographic Traveler of the Year online article.
- Featured in Canada’s Globe and Mail on volunteer travel.
- Featured by CNN Money on voluntourism.
- Featured on Australia’s news site, News.com.au about solo female travel.
- Featured by Global Times China about vegetarian travel.
- Interviewed in Repubblica in Italian about solo travel.
- Contributor to USA Today College about student travel.
- Featured on BBC Travel about living in Chiang Mai, Thailand.
- Partnership with Lonely Planet as a featured author.
- Regular travel panel expert for TravelBlogs.com.
- Guest on Daytime TV show.
- Interview on Fox Tampa Bay.
- Interview on ABC Action News.
- Interview on Orlando’s News 13 as an Everyday Hero.
- NPR interview about social enterprises and volunteering
- National Geographic Weekend radio about travel
- Australian Broadcasting Network’s Life Matters show about solo travel
- Frommers Sunday travel show about volunteering
- KGNU Denver about solo female travel and global citizenship
- Central College in Iowa guest speaker to the freshman class, 2014.
- Shenandoah University keynote speaker at International Convocation, 2013.
- University of Central Florida guest speaker about entrepreneurship and travel, 2013.
- Annual speaker with middle school classrooms in conjunction with units on Into The Wild, social justice units, and world cultures studies.
- Meet Plan Go panelist for the Orlando, Florida event, 2011.
- Speaker on SEO and Content at the TBEX 2012 Travel Blog Conference
- Presenter of various industry webinars and training sessions on Social Media and SEO.
Speaking at National Geographic Live!
Speaking at Shenandoah University
- Photography featured in Outside magazine, April 2013
- Ongoing relationship with Kuoni Travel brochures for Middle East images.
- Featured in Trinity University Magazine.
- Stowaway Magazine (print and online) for a piece on Semana Santa carpets in Guatemala.
- Featured in University of Missouri Illuminations report.
- Photography featured in the Schmap Sydney Guide.
- TRAVELIFE magazine feature.
Interviews, Podcasts, and Writing
- Featured podcast guest on: Amateur Traveler, This Week in Travel, and Conscious Discussions.
- Contributor to USA Today College.
- Vagabonding Case Study on Rolf Potts’ site.
- Best in Travel on Global Basecamps.
- Budgeting Advice and Working While Traveling on The Road Forks.
- Traveling with my niece and travel talk on Neverending Voyage.
- How to Ethically Volunteer Anywhere in the World (Guest post on Nomadic Matt)
- Giving Back, Teaching Monks in Nepal (Guest post on The Planet D)
- Budgeting: The Real Cost of RTW Travel (Contributed on BootsnAll)
Email ( ShannonRODonnell <at> gmail.com ) is the easiest way to reach me. Or via phone: +1-727-386-9415